Friday, January 8, 2010

Reflections on Predictions: Ruben's NFC East Preview

At the eve of the NFL Playoffs, I'd thought it'd be fun to take a quick peak back at my initial NFC Previews for the season, whether good or bad, so in retrospect, here's the NFC, as I saw it.

Original NFC East Preview

NFC EAST


New York Giants
Predicted Record: 10-6 (NFC East Champs)
Actual Record: 8-8, no playoffs
Verdict: I was wrong.
I Said That: The defense is still stout, the defensive line was bad ass before they signed Chris Canty.
Last Word: They weren't the only recent Super Bowl winner who just gave up on the season. I was half right they didn't have a top flight wide receiver. Steve Smith blew up out of the gate, but tapered off down the stretch. While he's not top flight, he's a solid player. I predicted good things for the Jacobs-Bradshaw tandem, and many people now think Brashaw is the better player. Still, the defense was a fucking joke, especially down the stretch, giving up 40 points in three of the last four games with the Playoffs on the line, and their defensive coordinator got fired.

Philadelphia Eagles
Predicted Record: 9-7, out of playoffs
Actual Record: 11-5 (6th Playoff Seed)
Verdict: I wasn't totally wrong, they still have issues with consistency, I had them over .500, but they did make the playoffs.
I Said That: Their top three receivers are all under six feet tall (or barely six feet tall) run fast and shy away from contact.
Last Word: While this statement isn't totally wrong, it's intent was. DeSean Jackson is a stud and should not have been available in the second round. He's not strong, he's not a possession guy, but holy shit is he a game breaker who can win games all by himself. Jeremy Maclin had a solid rookie year and is going to be a solid NFL receiver. Westbrook, who turned 30, was injured and a general non-factor all year, so I feel good about that. This team is totally unpredictable week to week, so I honestly wouldn't be shocked by anything they do in the playoffs, (except win the Super Bowl, that would shock me).

Dallas Cowboys
Predicted Record: 8-8
Actual Record: 11-5 (NFC East Champs, 3rd Playoff Seed)
Verdict: Underestimated them, much better than I thought.
I Said That: The cliche is "addition by subtraction". This typically isn't a negative thing when Terrell Owens is involved.
Last Word: If I would have just added the name Miles Austin in there, I would look as prophetic as Darren Daulton. Miles Austin, a waiver wire pickup for my fantasy team, was without a doubt my favorite player to root for this year. That guy is fantastic. Romo turned the page and played solid, mistake free football (so far) the majority of the year and the Cowboys have a home playoff game, and Wade Phillips may still have his job. Could be frisky in playoffs, but probably a one and done with a solid foundation for next year.

Washington Redskins
Predicted Record: 7-9
Actual Record: 4-12
Verdict: They were way worse than I thought.
I Said That?: They brought in crazy Albert Haynesworth for crazy guaranteed money and drafted Brian Orapko (an ultimate boom-bust prospect) and converted Orapko to linebacker to help sure up the defense.
Last Word: Haynesworth is already a headcase for them. Orapko went boom and made the pro-bowl as a rookie. Jim Zorn. Enough said. He tried this play, twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment