Friday, January 8, 2010

Reflections on Predictions: Ruben's NFC South Preview

Original NFC South Preview

New Orleans Saints

Predicted Record: 11-5 (NFC South Champs)
Actual Record: 13-3 (NFC South Champs, 1st Playoff Seed)
Verdict: Correct. Predicted them NFC South Champs, so I feel good.
I Said That?: Honestly, every year, one team jumps from mediocrity to a lucky season and NFC Championship Potential (some people use the word “fluke” to describe such). I think it’s New Orleans. They play offense better than any other team not named New England and the play in the NFC.
Last Word: Yeah, I was right. I bit on New Orleans hard and I was right. I had them in the NFC Championship, which still remains to be seen. I predicted silly things from their offense and I was right. Feel good.

Atlanta Falcons
Predicted Record: 10-6, (Wild Card)
Actual Record: 9-7, out
Verdict: Had them one win better and a playoff team, but they had their first back to back winning seasons, so it wasn't totally off base.
I Said That?: I’m not so sure they’re as big a fluke as everyone makes them out to be.
Last Word: A 9-7 record is respectable, and they're probably not a fluke. There's still work to do, but I like them going forward. Matt Ryan, Michael Turner and Roddy White all suffered some injuries this year. They played hard the last few games to finish .500. Definitely not a wasted season.

Carolina Panthers
Predicted Record: 7-9
Actual Record: 8-8
Verdict: Much better after they shit-canned Jake Delhomme. I was right this was just an average team.
I Said That?: Where does that leave us? 8-8. That makes sense. Jake Delhomme. Fuck. 7-9. Yeah, it’s 7-9, Jake sucks that much.
Last Word: Probably would have been right if they kept Jake in. I had the right reasoning, but I didn't think they'd be smart and remove Jake from the equation. They put Matt Moore in and won their last 3 games to finish at 8-8, so I guess in retrospect, they could have been 5-11. If they don't start Matt Moore next year, they are morons, he's got some potential. They clearly have the best 1-2 punch at running back in the entire league, so if Jake is out of the question, I think they have some potential next year.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Predicted Record: 3-13
Actual Record: 3-13
Verdict: EPIC WIN (for me) EPIC FAIL (for the team)
I Said That?: They just suck.
Last Word: Yeah, I was right. I also questioned the Raheem Morris choice. But then again, everyone else did. But what good can you pull out of that mess? Josh Freeman got some experience and Cadillac Williams didn't have a season ending injury? Yeah, I think that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment